Monday, October 30, 2006

The NYU golf coach, Jay Donovan, was forced to resign last Wednesday because he was reported to have taken the team to a strip club in Florida and allowed underage drinking.

Here's a link to the article that ran in the Washington Square News:

TEXT

After reading the article, it seems the story is more complex than the tagline my imply. The article makes the golfers sound like a team of spoiled brats, who didn't really give a shit about golf. (Hmm... a division III golf team at one of the countries most expensive schools...couldn't see that one coming.)

Ultimately, Coach Donovan is responsible for his actions as he acknowledges, "I made a very spontaneous decision that night. I didn’t suggest we go, but I was responsible for my actions and I have no problem being held accountable. I did pull the van into the parking lot of that club and never should have.” But do you think he should have been forced to resign?

(Considering the circumstances, I think Coach Donovan should have been punished, but not 'fired.' It sounds like the NYU Golf Program should worry more about golfing and less about the conduct of the links.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home